This page was set up to introduce you to the area surrounding Silverlaken. The vast majority of the items listed below are less than a 10 minute drive from the Estate! There is also no shortage of things to do right here at Silverlaken. Click this link to learn about all the activities on the Silverlaken Estate.
Upon request, your host will be happy to curate some itineraries for what to see, do, eat and drink nearby during the specific dates of your visit. But here are some links to get you started.
Silverlaken is minutes away from Letchworth State Park– “the grand canyon of the East” as they call it. The park was ranked the #1 State park in the entire USA!
General information: https://www.letchworthpark.com/
Trail maps: https://letchworthpark.com/maps/
www.TrailOtter.com for guided tours & gear in and around Letchworth and the Genesee Valley.
Families will particularly enjoy the Humphrey Nature Center. Be sure to check out the schedule for their lecture series and the nature walks via this link.
The Village of Perry is home to a brewery, wine bar, cheese factory, drive-in theater, and various dining establishments. Perry has A LOT going on for a small town with more cows than people: performance art, galleries, comedy shows, farmers markets, athletic events, festivals, stock car racing, fishing derbies…to name a few. Check out www.ILovePerryNY.com
Hidden Gem in Perry: Art & Architecture – The Perry Public Library is not only a well-preserved Carnegie library (2509 were built with money donated by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie between 1883 and 1929) but it is also houses (the tiny yet impressive) Stowell-Wiles Art Gallery featuring over 40 oil painting by Lemuel M. Wiles (1826-1905), a Perry native of the famed Hudson River School of landscape painters.
A Rural Art Scene on the Rise: Check out facebook.com/JoshRiceProjects to learn about the latest events organized by his team at Theatre@37. These are the folks that produce an award-winning Shakespeare Troupe, host stand up comedy events and even bring the NY State Puppet Festival to Perry each year.
Wyoming County Tourism
A great resource for experiences, dining and events at the county wide level – https://www.gowyomingcountyny.com/
Check out this short welcome video, created by the Chamber of Commerce to get a feel for all the county has to offer.
Where to Eat Near Silverlaken?
- The Charcoal Corral offers mini golf, drive in theater, ice cream parlor and other various family friendly activities- for details and schedule of events check out www.CharcoalCorral.com
- Daryl’s Pizza – www.darylspizzeria.com Award winning buffalo wings! When you order delivery, be sure to let them know which building you are staying in at Silverlaken.
- The Lumber Yard Restaurant, also in Perry, is our favorite steakhouse with excellent seafood and a classic soup-n-salad bar. The historic timber frame building (once a saw mill) houses the restaurant, a full bar and rooms for special events upstairs. Visit www.lumberyardrestaurant.com
- John and Sarah’s Diner – located a few miles from Silverlaken, this diner in Perry is famous for their large portions and is a great place to grab breakfast before heading into Letchworth State Park for a hike.
Carney’s Market- located next to the Post Office on Main Street in Castile includes a deli with hot food and camping supplies. Check out their specialty burgers. It’s a toss up between the Firehouse burger and the Letchworth Special!
Perry Marketplace – A basic, but friendly, grocery store located just a few miles from the cottage and has amazing donuts made fresh daily; arrive early to ensure you get your pick! www.shurfinemarketplace.com
Sunday Church Service
Join us at the First Congregation Church of Perry Center; Pastor Eric is also the lead singer in a local party band and Sunday worship is filled with great music & inspiration. Learn more about the friendliest church in Wyoming County on Facebook at “First Congregational Church of Perry Center”
Unique/Local Gifts and Souvenirs
East Hill Creamery Grass Fed, Artisan Cheese. Cheese Factory & Chalet.
Silver Lake Sunnies: Fresh cut sunflowers & popular selfie-station on West Lake road.
Stonewall Craftique: Large selection. Local artists and crafters. Located in downtown Perry.
Kid Friendly Places
- Perry Public Park: located near the north end of Silver Lake as you enter the village of Perry; the splash pad, jungle gym and kid’s castle are typically a big hit with the little ones. The park also offers nice tennis and basketball courts!
- Perry Public Beach: Grand opening scheduled for Summer of 2021. Located on Walker Road at the North East end of Silver Lake.
- New York State’s only Reptile Zoo and Dinosaur Museum is located in downtown Perry. Visitors can interact with animals and dinosaur themed activities. Visit www.repcowildlife.com for details.
- Hidden Valley Animal Adventure – located 20 minutes from Silverlaken in Varysburg; this zoo is one of a kind featuring exotic animals from around the world! Experience a chance to get up close to see and feed the animals. https://hiddenvalleyadventure.com/
- Rochester Skydivers (www.rochesterskydivers.com) flies out of the Perry Warsaw airport, just minutes away from Silverlaken.
- Balloons over Letchworth is operated by www.LibertyBalloon.com. When the wind is right, the hot air balloons “touch and go” on the water, right in front of the Silverlaken Estate.
- Raft down the Genesee river through the Letchworth Gorge with Adventure Calls Outfitters: www.adventure-calls.com
- Endlessly Outdoors Company, located on Perry Main Street, offers gear, equipment rentals, educational programs, events and more. www.endlesslyoutdoorscompany.com
- Tail Otter LLC, located in nearby Leicester NY, offers gear, hiking tours and backpacking trips in the greater Letchworth area. www.trailotter.com
Where to go bike riding in Silverlake, NY?
Letchworth State Park is the obvious choice for on-road and off-road biking. However, there are also plenty of country roads to check out near Silverlaken. Here are some maps, compliments of the annual “Tour de Perry” event.
- Are you looking for a relaxing ride along quiet scenic roads around Silver Lake and the Letchworth valley? Then the Loop de Lake is for you! 17 miles of a mostly flat ride around Silver Lake and along the surrounding countryside. This family friendly ride will have everyone smiling with joy. Official Map for Loop de Lake: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29332049
- If you’re looking for a bit more of a challenge, but not quite ready for the Letchworth Loop, try the Loop de Longer. You’ll travel 31 miles and experience a bit of both routes. Official Map for Loop de Longer: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29332040
- If a more challenging day is what you prefer, then ride the Letchworth Loop. This ride will take you 53 miles with 3000′ of climbing up and down hills through Wyoming County and Letchworth Park – the “Grand Canyon of the East”. The ride is recommended for the serious cyclist only! Official Map for Letchworth Loop: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29332017
For information on boat rentals, kayaks, swimming, sailing lessons, fishing, launch ramp and dockage, please visit this page.
Check out this article in Buffalo Vibe magazine featuring Silverlaken, if you are looking to do a 3-day road trip around Wyoming County in the Fall season.